Thoughts for Quarterbacks - Part 1
This is the first in a series of articles that comprise Thoughts for Quarterbacks, a short booklet written by Coach and Author Larry Beckish.
The Quarterback's Willingness
For a quarterback to make a positive contribution to the offense he must tx: willing to:
1. Take the initiative and the time, on and off the field, to prepare himself
mentally and physically.
2. Become a student ofthe game by giving attention and energy to detail ( domg
the 'little things').
3. Accept the positive and negative aspects of being a quarterback in stride and
never allow either the positive or negatives to effect his attitude or performance on or off the field.
The Quarterback's Field Leadership
A quarterback's on the field leadership comes from his ability to:
1. Control the huddle and teammates in difficult situations.
2. Congratulate the good play and forgive the poor play.
3. Understand the offense and what it is trying to accomplish.
4. Understand defensive concepts.
The Ideal Quarterback
An ideal quarterback is:
1. A player who is mentally and physically tough.
2. A player who Cares about himself, the team, and the school he
3. A player who is a threat as a runner and a passer.
4. A player who can concentrate for extended periods of time.
5. A player who can respond to defensive pressures to prevent lost yardage,
plays, turnovers, or a play than can lose a game.
6. A player who makes decisions and lives with those decisions.
7. A player who strives to develop sound fundamentals.
8. A player who is a student of the game.
9. A player who understands the game to make play selections at the line of
Other articles in this series include:
- QUARTERBACK MENTAL FUNDAMENTALS : Pre Snap Read, One Way Decisions, Reducing the Risks
- PASSING FACTORS
- THROWING FUNDAMENTALS
- QUARTERBACK MUSTS AND PASS ROUTE COACHING POINTS
Coach Beckish has been a long-time contributor to CompuSports web sites and has appeared on Coaches Corner - a talk radio show delivered in podcast format
Order Larry's eBook, Coaching the Option Quarterback from the CompuSports Media Exchange